Monday, October 27, 2008

My son is beautiful, for real.



For real, for real. Isaiah is gorgeous. Either you're thinking what a cocky wench OR she must really love her son, and how I see it.. either way I am so blessed. If he is one of those kids who just isn't cute, not only do I have no clue... I also think he is one of the most beautiful little boys ever. Gospel truth. And the whole reason I came back tonight was because I had a moment just before while watching the news when I thought of something I am excited to instill in my son, gentry. Tonight as I watched the second MSNBC show dedicating their first block to Ted Stevens, the Alaskan senator who just got convicted of seven felonies on charges of making false statements on Senate financial documents about gifts he received from his contractor for doubling the size of his house for free. I noticed this awful old man holding doors open for women, literally. This is not a man I like, obviously. He's corrupt, he's one of those old white men who is so arrogant that he thinks he can actually get away with it and oh, yeah...he's a republican. So I don't like this kinda guy, but I felt something in my belly admire him when he opened up the back door of the SUV while photographers were taking photos of his guilt so that his female attorney, daughter or maybe it was his wife climbed into the back seat. Instead of just rushing to hide inside the car, he stopped and did what was respectful. He then did it again later in a second clip as he held the building door open thinking someone, perhaps even a stranger was behind him. When he noticed no one was following him in, he walked inside. It made me think of how I was going to teach Isaiah about opening the door for women and older people. Broderick isn't as conscious about those kinds of things as Jonathan or even his brother Ferris. I want Isaiah to always hold the door or elevator for an older person or woman, Even by letting them pass if they both arrive at the escalator at the same time. I thought how could I do it as not to embarrass him. And then it dawned on me that I will both tell him and remind him in public. It's that important to me that he be a gentlemen. I think it's one of the measures of a man up there with intelligence and strength. I even felt proud in my forward thinking fantasy that he will someday remember me as a women who demanded he respect women for being women.

No comments: